1. Create an inspiring about us page
Start by creating an About Us page that describes why you started your store, who you are there to serve, and what makes your store different from others. This page is designed to tell a story that inspires customers to do business with you. Make sure that you include a strong call to action at the end. This call to action should offer them a first-time buyer discount.
You can also use videos, images, and other content that represents your brand.
Your goal is not to be profitable on the first sale, is to break even so that you can acquire a customer. You will earn your profit by delivering a great experience and getting that customer to come back over and over again.
2. Set up your tracking pixels
Once you're about us page is created, the next thing you want to do is make sure you set up all of your tracking pixels. This will help you keep track of all of the actions taken on your site as well as give you the ability to get back in front of people who checked out your page but didn't buy.The two tracking software is that I use are Google Analytics and Facebook pixel.
You can create your Google Analytics account by going to analytics.google.com
You can get instructions on setting up your Facebook pixel by going to facebook.com/business
3. Get your first thousand visitors
After you set up your tracking pixels, you are ready to start driving traffic to your site. There are two types of traffic: organic traffic and paid traffic.
Organic traffic is great, but it usually takes longer and requires a lot of energy. Paid traffic is faster and can be turned on and off like a faucet.
I recommend advertising on one or multiple of the following channels:
You can start with as little as five dollars per day driving traffic to your site. You will want to have two separate campaigns going. One campaign targeting first-time visitors that you are sending to your About Us page.
The second is a retargeting campaign that follows up with people who have already visited your site.
In the next section you will learn more about creating your retargeting campaign and optimizing the traffic that you send to your site.
**Organic traffic is the best form of traffic, but it is not in your control. Focus on methods you can control. You never want to leave the growth of your business up to an algorithm.**
4. Creating your audiences
When you first start advertising, you will be targeting people who are in a "cold" audience. That means that they have never heard of you before.
You will want to set up a retargeting audience of those 1000 individuals who have visited your site. This will be the audience that you target in your retargeting campaign.
The second audience you will want to create is what's called a lookalike audience. You will want to create a lookalike audience of those same thousand individuals who have visited your page.
Facebook will then find individuals who have similar interests to those who visited your page and create an audience of people with similar interests and habits.
This lookalike audience will now become the audience that you send to your About Us page.
When you are just getting started, these are the two audiences that you will want to target in your advertising.
Here is the breakdown:
- Target cold audience until you've gotten your first 1000 visitors
- Create a retargeting audience of those visitors that you will show your retargeting campaigns to
- Create a lookalike audience using your custom retargeting audience to replace the cold traffic audience
5. Offer creation strategy
Offer #1 - About Us Page Offer
Your first offer has 1 intention, to create a buyer. There are many offers that you can use get a customer to make their first purchase. Here are a few ideas:
- Discount on first purchase - offer a discount on their first purchase
- Free plus shipping - offer them an item of your choosing for free if they pay for shipping and handling
- BOGO - offer them a free item with purchase of another
Offer #2 - Retargeting Offer(s)
Your second offer will be used in your advertising to get those who visited your site but didn't buy to come back and make a purchase.
For this offer, you will show them products related to the story/content on the About Us page. The more offers you present, the better chance you have of getting a sale.
Example: You have a store selling vegan supplements for athletes. Your retargeting campaign can offer them a vegan energy booster, pre-workout, or focus supplement.
You want the offer to relate to what they read in their first experience with you.
I recommend you have one $5/day campaign targeting the lookalike audience you created and another $5/day campaign targeting the retargeting audience of site visitors.
6. Borrowing other people's traffic
Another great option for getting traffic to your site is partnering with others to have them send out offers to their audience on your behalf.
Below is a step by step game plan for borrowing other people's traffic:
- Identify 25 - 50 people on Instagram or Pinterest that have audiences who would want to purchase your products
- Craft a personalized message to each of those individuals
- Send that message to then via email and DM
- Your goal is to get them on the phone (if you can get them on the phone it will be faster and easier to get a deal)
- When you get them on the phone, there are 2 types of deal you will primarily make
- Fee-Based - Ask them what their fee is for posting on your behalf and pay that fee
- Product Exchange - Give them free products for in exchange for shoutouts
- Make sure that you have done all of the heavy lifting
- Create the images (creatives) that align with their timeline and brand
- Write the copy for the post
- When you get a YES, make sure the only thing they have to do is post
- Lower their resistance by letting them know that they can take down the post after a certain period of time (ex: 5 hours / 24 hours etc.)
- Have them add the link in their BIO while the is live
- The link should send their audience to your "About Us" page so that you can continue to build your retargeting audience
You only want to partner with people who have a list/following on one of the following platforms: Instagram, Pinterest, Blog, or email list
**Your goal is to build up your retargeting audience as fast as possible**
7. Implementation strategy
Taking each of the steps listed above will help you kick off your e-commerce store the right way by building your brand while simultaneously growing your customer base. Some of the steps are very easy to execute, and others take time to execute.
Here are a few tips on how to get everything done:
- Decide if you want to do everything yourself or if you would like to hire an assistant to help
- Focus on getting one thing done at a time and don't move on to the next step until that one thing is done
- If you have time, then spend the time to make sure that everything is done right
- If you don't have time, but you have money then consider paying someone to assist you
- Plan for the long-haul, understand that it is a process and will take time to accomplish the goals you have
I hope this guy has given you direction and actionable steps that you can take to kick off your e-commerce business the right way. If you have any questions feel free to reach out. Best of luck!